Monday, August 20, 2018

A Whale Of A Tale...

As some of you know, I've been working to try to create a more nurturing environment on the 'Luvs Boat'. After some awesome get-togethers and some amazing big/little experiences in 2017, I decided that the 'crib' should feel like even more of a crib, and then 'nursery' even more like a nursery. 

It's a boat, so I knew I had to go with a nautical theme. I've always loved sharks, but sharks are scary, and it's hard to find cute nursery stuff with sharks on it, probably for that reason. (The exception being, of course, Shark Tale and Bruce from Finding Nemo). At some point I decided whales are the next best thing. They're cute, lovable, and they live in the same waters as sharks. Plus, there is so much whale stuff available out there... 

I wanted to get started earlier in the summer, but between work and freelance projects it took me a little while to get organized. I finally started shopping and Amazon clicking in earnest in August. 

Recently added: 

  • whale sheets
  • whale crib bumper
  • whale crib mobile
  • whale nightlight 

I just ordered a second set of the sheets - they're so soft that just laying on them makes me feel little! And I'm on the lookout for some whale wall art, too. Seen anything amazing? Inbox me! 

The woman who sold me the crib mobile emailed to ask what size clothes the baby wears, because she has lots of boys clothing, too. I wrote back to thank her but explain that I wasn't looking for clothing in any particular size, just trying to make my boat more 'baby-friendly' for friends when they visit. She replied to tell me how conducive boats are to babies sleeping. Ha! Don't I know it... 













The 'no wake zone' sign on the far wall may find another spot in the nursery, not sure yet - I've found two wooden ones I like a lot better, they're just a little pricey. For anyone who doesn't get the hidden message, 'no wake zone' is a boating reference - canals and other such places are considered 'no wake zones' because the wake from boats traversing them at too high a speed can damage docks, boats, and shorelines. On the boat, of course, 'no wake zone' refers to keeping the nursery quiet. Anyway... 

Next up: trading in the toddler rail for an actual crib rail. Hope to have that done before the end of the season. That, plus some whale-themed wall art, and I should be good to go. 

After spending the tail end of 2017 taking care of Little Z I found it pretty much impossible to sleep in the crib between his visits - I'd taken on the role of 'big', and trading back and forth between 'big' and 'little' was actually a lot harder than I thought. I figured it would be easier this spring/summer, but it still felt... off. Still, I just had to try an overnight in this bed, though - and man, it's the best night sleep I've had in a long, long time. Being lulled to sleep by the lapping of the waves, in those soft sheets, with my li'l glowing whale friend lighting up just enough of the crib to let me take it all in... zzzzzz, good night. 

My first 'Luvs Boat' get-together since all of this stuff came in is coming up, and I'm looking forward to sharing this with other people... hopefully will have some cute pics to share soon. 

Anyone in upstate NY, or visiting, who wants to come spend the night in the 'nursery', hit me up! 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where TF did you get that whale? And do they have other animals available?