Tuesday, August 26, 2014

ADISC Security Breach

I received the following email from ADISC tonight. I haven't logged on there in years, and forgot I was a member. In case anyone out there is in the same situation - especially if you don't use the email that you registered for the site with:




Hello, Abysitter.

I'm sorry to announce that we have recently become aware of a security breach on ADISC.

While we have addressed it, and also made several key improvements to our security, we still need your help to be sure you are fully protected.

I ask you (and all other members) to take these three steps:

1) If you have not logged into ADISC recently, and been prompted to change your password, then please log in now and change it.
Here is the link to do so:https://www.adisc.org/forum/profile.php?do=editpassword
While changing it, it would also be a good idea to make sure your email is up to date.

2) If you don't currently have an antivirus program, it would be a good idea to install one. We suggest Avast, which you can get from Avast.com. It is free. No computer should be without an antivirus program.

3) If you use the same password as you used on ADISC anywhere else, change your passwords there too. Always use a unique password on every site you visit. If you need help remembering them all, you can always keep a list of them on your computer, or (more securely) you can keep them encrypted in a password manager program. There are plenty of free password manager programs available on Google which make this easy.

While we have seen almost no issues as a result of this breach, we're still taking every precaution, strengthening our security, informing members, and advising everyone about best security practice, just to be extra safe.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, and ask that you follow the steps above.

If you have any questions, you can always contact me via private message:
https://www.adisc.org/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=1

Thank you,
-Moo
-ADISC Admin

No comments: